Discord is an app that has been designed for voice, video, and text chat, especially for people who like gaming. This app offers many advanced and amazing features.
That is why this app is very famous among the gaming community only, but several other people use it.
Similarly, like some other apps for windows, Discord also has some basic features. One of them is that as soon as you turn on the computer, it will auto start on every window startup.
The purpose of this feature is to make using the Discord app easier for everyone. But this feature is not liked by everyone. Gamers want to have complete control over their computers because they desire to get the highest performance.
App opening on startup not only prolongs the startup process but also affect the performance during working. That is why I understand why you want to turn off the feature of auto start for Discord.
Table Of Content
How to Disable Discord on Start-up:
You can use some ways to turn off the auto start feature of Discord every time you start your computer.
Those methods include turning this feature off from the Discord app setting and using the task manager.
All the steps that you need to follow for both the methods are mentioned as follows.
Fix 1: Turning off auto-start using the discord app:
The first method is to turn off the auto start feature from within the Discord app. Here are the steps you need to follow to turn it off from within the app.
- Open the Discord application.
- On the right side of your avatar, you might be able to see the Click on User Settings (Gear Icon) option. Click on it.
- Click on Discord User Settings.
- Here you can see Windows Settings on the left side of the windows. Click on it.
- Find the section System Start-up Behaviour here.
- Click to Toggle off the Open Discord option.
Once you have done this, Discord will not open the next time your Windows starts up.
Fix 2: Disabling the Discord App using the Task Manager:
All the apps that open whenever you start up your windows can be seen in the Task Manager.
Therefore, you can turn on or off the auto-start feature of the various apps, including Discord from the Task Manager.
To use the task manager to turn off this feature, follow the steps that are mentioned below.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously to open the task manager.
- Here you might be able to see the option saying Startup. Click on it.
- You will be able to see a List of apps that open at the startup, including Discord.
- On the bottom right corner, you can see the Disable option.
- Click on it to disable discord from opening on startup.
Now, you will not see the Discord app the next time your windows start.
How to uninstall Discord?
Sometimes when you want to disable the Discord app from startup, you will need to clear up some memory on your computer to uninstall the Discord app from the computer completely.
So you need to keep in mind that simply removing it might not clear up the memory, and you will need to delete all the AppData content as well.
So if you want to completely uninstall Discord from your computer, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Press and hold the windows and R keys simultaneously.
- Type in appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- A list will appear here. Find the Discord app in the list and click on it.
- Confirm all the messages that come later in the setup to remove the app from your computer.
- The Discord app will be uninstalled.
- Now press Windows key + R.
- Type in %appdata% and then press the Enter key.
- Find the Discord folder here. Once you have found it, delete it and follow all the instructions that follow.
- Once you have completely remove the app and all the AppData, You will need to reboot your computer.
Note: If, during the uninstall process, you come across an error, “Discord can’t be uninstalled because it is running,” then it means that the app is running in the background.
So to uninstall it, first, you will have to close the app.
Here is the way by which you can stop the app from running in the background.
Stop App From Running In Background:
Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press and hold Ctrl + Shift + Esc or Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and select the task manager option to open the task manager.
- Once the task manager opens, click on the process tab.
- Scroll and find the Dicord.exe process in the processes list.
- Select it by clicking on it and then click on End task to end the process.
By doing so, you have closed the Discord app from running in the background. Close the task manager and try to uninstall the app again using the method mentioned above.
We hope helped you disable discord from the startup with the help of this guide and use it when you need it, instead of opening every time you start your computer.
You’ll also like: