Discord is a viral chatting app many people use worldwide. Aside from being accessible by browsers, it also has an app that can run on windows.
But sometimes, you may encounter that the discord app fails to open. No matter how many times you try it, nothing happens.
For many users, only a blank screen will appear, and that’s it. Users claimed they even reinstalled the app, but the issue still failed to resolve.
This problem is complicated to solve when you have no idea about fixing. Fortunately, we managed to find all solutions to fix discord not opening issue.
Various issues can cause this problem, and each issue requires different steps to resolve it. We will cover all the possible reasons and provide methods to fix each of them.
Let’s start fixing.
Table Of Content
Fix: Discord Not Opening Issue:
There are different reasons why discord app is not opening issue occurs.
Therefore, here we have concluded multiple methods to get rid of this problem.
If you have any problem following this article, you also follow this video:
Fix 1: Task-Kill from Task Manager
You may think the app is not visible because it fails to start. But, possibly, the app has already begun and running in the background.
Therefore, you should check if the application is running in the background. If you found it running, close it and open it again to run normally.
Follow these steps to perform it:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the task manager.
- Go to the process tab.
- Find the discord.exe app.
- Select it, and then click Finish task.
Sometimes, users noticed more than one discord.exe running in task manager.
If you also encounter a similar situation, don’t forget to close all programs by repeating the above steps.
Then close the task manager and try to rerun the discord.exe app.
See if the problem is solved.
Fix 2: Task Kill (alternative)
If you failed to perform above step to kill task efficiently, here is a different way to kill all discord task immediately.
Follow these steps.
- Press the Windows and R key simultaneously.
- Type in cmd and then press Enter to run command prompt.
- Type taskkill /F / IM discord.exe and press the Enter key.
- Once the operation is complete, try opening the discord app again.
Fix 3: Delete AppData Contents
If the methods above do not work, you will need to uninstall the app completely and then reinstall it.
But a simple uninstallation and reinstallation will not help. You will also need to delete the AppData.
See below for instructions on how to do that.
- Press and hold the Windows key and press R.
- Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- Now you need to find the Discord app from the list.
- When you have done that, click on all the extra prompts and continue with the uninstallation.
- If you receive a warning that you cannot uninstall it because it is running, follow method 1 or 2 to shut it down.
- Once discord is closed, Press and hold Windows key and press R.
- Type %appdata% and press Enter.
If it doesn’t work or you can’t see folders, follow below steps.
- Hold down the Windows key and press E
- Select View from the top
- Check the option Hidden items
- Now repeat above steps.
- Locate the Discord folder, right-click it and select Delete. Confirm any additional prompts
- Once done, reboot your computer
Once done, reinstall the app again and it will be working this time.
Fix 4: Disable Proxies
If you are using any kind of VPNs or proxies, it could be the reason why discord is not working. The reason is that they don’t allow discord to connect. Therefore, you will need to close all those proxies and VPNs and then try running discord again.
Fix 5: Adjust the Date/Time
Another strange reason why discord may not open is that the date and time setting of your computer is not correct. That is why you need to set the date and time settings to automatic.
Below is a guide on how to do that.
- Press the Windows + I button simultaneously.
- Select the Time and Language menu option.
- Click the Set time automatically button to enable it.
- Launch the discord app and verify if the problem persists.
Fix 6: DNS Reset
The main problem in a few cases is the DNS setting becomes corrupted so discord fail to establish a decent connection to the Internet.
When this is happens, Discord may not open as well. For this reason, we recommend that you reset the DNS configuration.
Below are the steps you need to follow in order to do so.
- Press the Windows” + R keys simultaneously.
- Type in cmd and press enter.
- Type “ipconfig/flushdns” and press enter.
- Wait for the process to complete.
If discord opening problem was related to DNS, discord should open fine now after above steps.
If the issue still remains, you are facing a different issue and therefore you should continue following below fixes.
Fix 7: Running as Administrator
In case you installed the discord app on the system drive, you may need additional permission from the computer administrators, to run the program directly from the storage device.
So, here we are going to explain you how to run the discord app with administrator rights. To do that, please follow steps below.
- Right-click the Discord shortcut on the desktop and select Open File Location or navigate to the Discord installation folder yourself.
- In the Discord folder, right-click the Discord.exe file and then select Properties from the list.
- Select the Compatibility tab in the window that opens.
- Tick the option Run this program as administrator and then click Apply to save your changes.
- Once you have saved your changes, click OK to close Discord.
- When you have made all settings, try running Discord again to see if the problem is resolved.
Hopefully above methods helped you to solve the problem of discord not opening.
You’ll also like:
- Better Discord: How To Install And Use It
- Fix: Discord Screen Share Audio Not Working Issue
- How To Disable Discord On Start-Up
- Fix: Discord Notification Sound Not Working Issue
- How To Make A Welcome Channel In Discord