Minecraft is one of the most popular games of all time, and rightfully so! The game takes you to creativity peaks, with players creating objects as small as plants to spectacles as gigantic as whole worlds!
As enjoyable it is, this game can be an annoying experience when Minecraft not responding issue occurs. If you have come across such a problem, we have got you covered with these solutions we have collected!
Table Of Content
- Why is Minecraft not responding?
- How To Fix: Minecraft Not Responding Issue
Why is Minecraft not responding?
Minecraft becoming unresponsive or not responding at all is not an uncommon issue, just like Minecraft Internal Server Error. Anyone that plays Minecraft has experienced these issue once in a while.
Luckily, after little research with our experts and our team, we found this issue related to multiple factors mentioned below.
- Discord Overlay: It’s possible to use Discord to communicate with your friends whenever you’re playing Minecraft. Unfortunately, It can also cause Minecraft not responding issues.
- Video Drivers: With an updated graphics card, you also need an updated driver to run the card up to its potential. If you’re using an older version of a graphics driver, it can also cause unresponsiveness while trying to load Minecraft.
- Old Java version: Java is essential to run Minecraft running correctly and get everything working. If your PC lacks Java or contains older Java versions, Minecraft may get stuck while playing.
- Older Minecraft Version: From time to time, Minecraft introduces new features and debug older errors. When you have an older version installed on your computer, Minecraft may deny to launch the program and then stop responding.
- Incomplete/corrupt installation of Minecraft: When Minecraft is not installed correctly or lacks essential files, you can face a non-responding issue.
- Using Mods: It is not recommended to use modes when running Minecraft. If you’re using mods, you may need to disable them. What happens is that; Mods can change the nature of the game to enhance the texture, which eventually may cause not responding problems.
- Administrator Rights: There are times when an operating system may not give Minecraft the necessary rights to operate as it should. Not having administrative rights may lead to the game not starting or executing successfully. Enabling the option to run the game as an administrator can assist in solving this trouble.
- Outdated Windows: Windows is the primary operating system Minecraft runs on. If the operating system is obsolete or facing any problems, Minecraft will probably not run and will not respond.
Before we begin, Here is the guide we previously written to Fix: Unable To Update Minecraft Native Launcher.
How To Fix: Minecraft Not Responding Issue
After going through the above chart, Now that you’re confident that your PC meets the given requirement and still face Minecraft not responding problem. Here we have all the fixes to get rid of this issue.
Fix 1: disable Discord Overlay.
Discord Overlay could be the culprit behind this issue on more than one occasion! To overcome this obstacle, you must either disable it or fully close it. Here is a series of steps to follow.
However, Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously to open the Task Manager. Minecraft and any other unnecessary apps must be closed.
- Open Discord and click the icon, which shows settings.
- Go to the Overlay tab, select it, and turn off the Enable in-game overlay option.
- Now relaunch Minecraft.
If it works, congratulations! However, if it does not, we got more tips for you, so move ahead!
Fix 2: Update your Graphics driver.
A faulty or outdated graphics card driver might be the cause of this error. The job of the graphics driver is to display the game efficiently. Sometimes, the malfunction is due to an old sound card or network adapter driver. In those cases, you must update or fix all the faulty or outdated drivers, along with the graphics card driver. You can upgrade the driver manually by following steps:
- First, you need to have Windows 10 installed on your computer as it’s the recommended OS by Microsoft for Minecraft.
- Once you have Windows 10 downloaded, you can find the correct driver and install it manually from the manufacturers’ website.
- If your card is Nvidia: Download Nvidia driver here.
- If your card is AMD made: Download the AMD driver here.
Read this article if your LAN is not Working On Minecraft.
Fix 3: Install Latest Java Version:
Sometimes when you are using an older Java version, Minecraft can cause unresponsiveness issues. In that case, we recommend you install the latest Java version by following the steps given below.
- Go to the official Java Website and download the latest java version.
- After you download it, install it on your computer.
- When java installs correctly, you’ll see this box on your display screen.
- Now try rerunning Minecraft and see if the issue persists or not.
Fix 4: Get rid of incompatible software.
Incompatible software can be one of the primary reasons behind this issue. The problems caused by incompatible software are so common that
Minecraft itself has mentioned known incompatible software on its website.
Some anti-virus software also blocks a lot of functions on Minecraft. Spot such software and uninstall and replace it. If the problem persists, move onto the next step.
Fix 5: Update Minecraft
Sometimes non-updated versions of Minecraft can be unresponsive. In that case, you need to update the Minecraft version. Usually, Minecraft updates itself, regardless of the platform you’re playing it on. If it fails to do so, you can always update it manually.
Please note that you need to connect to the Internet on the computer you’re using to download a Minecraft update.
If you have Minecraft Windows 10 Edition, to check for the update manually by the below steps:
- Go to the start menu.
- Search for and open Microsoft Store.
- In the Store, click on the triple dotted icon at the top right corner and select Downloads and updates.
- Then, click on the Get updates.
Fix 6: Disable the Mods
Mods are well-known to provide gamers with an improved and brilliant gaming experience when they are enabled. However, they could also be the reason behind this ‘not responding’ issue. Thus, they must be disabled. Here are the steps to disable them:
- If you have a game launcher such as Forge installed, disable them through it.
- If you do not have a game launcher installed, add ‘. disabled’ at the end of the mods’ filename.
- You can also move the folder, which contains the mods from the Minecraft directory to another directory.
- Restart your computer and see if the issue persists.
Note: Do not worry about getting your mods back when you want them, as you can quickly get them back by deleting the ‘.disabled’ suffix or moving them back to the Minecraft directory!
If you ever face connection issues while playing: Here is a guide to Fix: Minecraft Connection Refused: “No Further Information” Error.
Fix 7: Run Minecraft as the administrator
If a game is not running as the administrator, it puts certain restrictions on it. If this is the issue, then follow these steps to run Minecraft as the administrator:
- Go to the directory where the game is installed and go to the primary executable game file.
- Right-click on the executable file and click on properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab and click on the unchecked box next to Run this program as administrator. Click Apply, and then click OK.
Run Minecraft again.
Last Option: Reinstall Minecraft on your computer
After you have tried all the methods we have listed above; the last resort is to reinstall your game. To do so, you will have to follow the following instructions:
- Press the Windows logo key and the R key on your keyboard simultaneously to pop up for the Run box.
- Type in ‘appwiz.cpl’ and click on the Enter key.
- Uninstall Minecraft by right-clicking on it and selecting Uninstall.
- Follow Step 1 again and then type ‘%appdata%’ when the Run Box pops up. Then press Enter.
- Now, right-click on the ‘.Minecraft’ folder and select the Delete option to delete all related files.
- Restart your computer.
- Go to the official Minecraft website, and download & install the game again.
Also read, How To Fix: Minecraft OpenGL Error 1281.
As we mentioned in the beginning, Minecraft is an excellent game and has one of the world’s largest fan bases. You can experience it with joy, but it can be a real worry when uninterrupted by malfunctions like not responding. For this exact reason, we have you covered these steps in detail.
We compile such troubleshooting steps only for you to have a fantastic gaming experience for as long as you like. I hope that this article was no different and helped resolve your issue.
If you’re facing any issue with any game or computer, please contact us and we’ll try our best to create a guide to resolve such an error for you.